- Images at Product level
1.A One image
1.B Multiple images
- Images at Variant level
2.A One image
2.B Multiple images
- Images at Product and Variant level
3.A = 1.A + 2.A = one image at the product level plus each variant has one distinct image
3.B = 1.A + 2.B = one image at the product level plus each variant has multiple images
3.C = 1.B + 2.A = multiple images at the product level plus each variant has one distinct image
3.D = 1.B + 2.B = multiple images at the product level plus each variant has multiple images
Bad product use cases
These are sub-cases of the above where the retailer has set the product up in a bad way.
4. All variants have images but all images are the same; a sub-case of 2 or 3
5. All variants have images but not all images are distinct, ie some images repeat; a sub-case of 2 or 3
6. Some variants have distinct images but some variants have no image at all; a sub-case of 2 or 3
7. Some variants have images (distinct or not) but some variants have no image at all; a variation of the use case above
8. Some or all variants have images, but some or all variant images are also seen at the product level; a sub-case of 3
9. The product has only one variant, there are images at the product level and the single variant has its own image.
Test products from the Shopify test store
2.B not Shopify or Bigcommerce
3.B not Shopify or Bigcommerce
3.D not Shopify or Bigcommerce
Test products from the BigCommerce test store
this comes from the fact that the image relates to the colour, one colour (green) has no image, then the size option duplicates the images when considering variants based on colour + size
Various products from Production
These guys have a bunch of products with images at product and variant level. Nice also.
Bad products from Production
9. https://ebaylink.omnivore.com.au/product/view?retailerCode=techattire-au&sku=2444207783994 and some of their other products
Bigcommerce and Shopify GUI only allows a maximum of one image at the variant level.
Some marketplaces cannot handle all types of variants, eg:
The Market can only do colour based variants. For all other types of variants, images will be bundled (in our code) into the "no color" variant.
Use this article to understand how to test a marketplace integration:
Push either one product at a time or all test products, depending on the marketplace capabilities and personal preferences.
Observe the resulting product listing in the marketplace.